Lessons from foreign investments in large scale mining
There is a strong sense among both Tanzanian officials and citizens that the country has not benefitted much from foreign investments in the mining sector and that these mistakes should not be repeated in the petroleum sector. This project will look into relevant lessons from the mining sector with a special focus on local content – that is the purchase of goods and services within the country, and efforts to train national staff. The study will focus on the following main research questions:
- What importance have various stakeholders placed on local content in the mining sector?
- What kind of local content has been implemented and why?
- What have been the obstacles and challenges?
- What have been the successes?
- To what degree has local content been part of the companies’ CSR strategies and to what degree is increased local content a result of the companies’ economic concerns?
- Are there any lessons that the petroleum sector can draw from in terms of the way in which the mining sector has tackled the question of local content? Back
Lessons from the Songo Songo gas-to-power project
The discoveries of natural gas in Songo Songo Island in 1974 were commercialised through the Gas to Electricity Project that started to operate in 2004. The purpose of this study is to examine lessons that might benefit the ongoing development of the petroleum industry.
The study will address the following questions:
- What is the institutional setup and does it promote or constrain accountability, transparency, and balanced or shared responsibility between domestic and foreign stakeholders?
- What is the revenue impact of the Songo Songo gas-to-electricity project?
- How have the parties to the Production Sharing Agreement (PSA) responded to the PSA requirements?
- How has the parties implemented the local content policy in general? Are there any linkages to changing government policies, the companies’ own CSR strategies, or pressure from civil society or local political structures? Back